Monday, March 7, 2011

My Grand Mother



This is the portrait of my grand mother, Satoko. She was born in Tokyo during the Second World War, and she lost her older sister by that war. She got married and moved to Nara prefecture when she was 30. Her characteristic is typical Japanese, so that I am often accused by her. Now she is around 80 years old, so that she spends her time relatively relaxed mood. She enjoys reading books, watching the movie, traveling around and listening classical music. The second picture of her portrait is about her dairy time which is reading with listening to classical music. She was used to live alone in a large house in Nara, but my father and I moved to her house 2 years ago, so that now she lives with my father and me. There are completely three generations, so that sometime we have dispute against each other. However, the most of the case is good term with us.





I have learned Japanese sense from spending time with her. As it is often said, Japanese people tend to avoid direct communication. I know we should assert directly in some time, but I realized that avoiding such communication leads to be afforded to do something. My grandmother seldom to be panic about what to do, because she has mind space every time. She always avoids direct communication in order to give herself the objective perspective. It is very useful when the one falls to the troublesome situations. This is one of the disciplines by my grandmother.

3 comments:

  1. Your Grandmother's story is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to read about somebody's grandmother in Japan. It is not so common to have three generations in the same house these days - I think you are lucky as your grandmother seems to have much she can teach you. I'd like to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice.. i remember my grand mother... well, i like japan

    ReplyDelete