Tuesday, April 26, 2011

National Treasure of Japan: Chokyuji


Today’s topic is about one of the national treasure in Japan, Chokyuji.
Chokyuji exists in Nara city, Tomio area. I think many foreigners tend to visit Toudaiji, which is in the center of Nara city. In this topic, I would like to try to say that there are some precious places where are not so famous for people, even for native Japanese.







Last week, I visited the grave of my grandmother as what I do regularly. I noticed that the temple “Chokyuji” which I saw every time is one of the national treasures in Japan. That is…the grave of my grandmother is in the area of Chokyuji. According to my mother, my grandmother used to work at Chokyuji. (not as priest) From that relationship, the grave is in the area.









Here is a brief summary of Chokyuji.
The belief is “Shingonrissyu”
There are several histories of its foundation, so that I picked up one of them.
According to its homepage, Tenmu Tennou ordered to found it concerning for the Mayumi Takeyumi’s death.

In the last picture, you can see the water and cups. When people visit and enter the area of temple, they should wash their hands. This traditional initiation is often said as "Okiyome". Please be careful, there are no information around that water, so that I saw some foreign visitors drink that water few years ago. Don't do it if you visit those kinds of places.
You should use cups around there and take water from pouring instrument (in this picture, it is the typical Japanese tool made by wood). Then, you wash your hands and enjoy the Japanese temple.



Chokyuji official homepage
http://www1.kcn.ne.jp/~yakusiin/index.html

1 comment:

  1. There are so many wonderful temples and shrines to visit - thanks for this osusume and the background info you provide.

    ReplyDelete